Every few weeks I post a bunch of links related to drawing, freelancing, self-employment and personal motivation. I collect these from all over the web and hope that you find them as helpful and inspirational as I did.
- The Style Problem for Artists by Kyle Webster - Kyle makes the case for having a variety of styles in your portfolio, not just one "signature" style.
- Forget about Getting Paid, It's Time to Work for Free by Gregor Louden - I will never tire of sharing "don't work for free" articles. Never.
- Triangle of Reasons for Doing Things by Craig Benzene - This video starts off very silly, but stick with it. Craig explains the importance of finding a balance between doing things for yourself and doing things for others.
- The Evolution of a Cover by Laura Martin - an author describes the experience of having an illustrator create a cover for her book, and the difference between YA and middle grade covers.
- Let's Kickstart a Comic by Spike Trotman - For $5, you can download a 32-page ebook written by someone who has run seven successful Kickstarter campaigns.
- The Benefits of Oversharing by Supachute - Do you ever worry about annoying people by posting too much artwork? You need to read this.
- Address for Success by Lauren Panepinto - an art director shows off the postcards and promos that illustrators send to her in the mail. Very interesting!