Most of these online schools offer both self-taught courses and guided courses.
- Self-taught means a bundle of downloadable videos, PDFs or other materials that you use to teach yourself in your own time. No instructor interaction.
- Guided means that there may be scheduled live chats, assignment deadlines, an active forum or other ways for you to receive feedback from instructors and/or classmates.
In order, from lowest to highest price:
- Skillshare - This website offers online classes on a wide range of topics, not just art. Offers hundreds of free self-taught classes as well as a "premium" $8/month option, which gives you access to an unlimited amount of classes - including cool stuff like Character Design with Charlie Bowater. Classes contain videos, assignments, and forums where you can post your work.
- The Lamp Post Guild - currently offers four self-taught classes at $99 each, from illustrious artists Justin Gerard, Cory Godbey and Chris Koelle.
- The Oatley Academy - offers both self-taught and guided classes on the basics of composition, storytelling, digital painting and more. Self-taught classes are currently $17 per month. Guided courses are price-on-demand, and require an "audition."
- Art Business Bootcamp - The only class on this list that focuses purely on the business side of art. Self-taught with access to an exclusive Facebook group for $197.
- The Illustration Department - various options for one-on-one mentorship from senior art director Giuseppe Castellano, focusing on children's books. $100-$300.
- Tutormill - guided classes on book and editorial illustration, taught by professional illustrators. At $300 per class.
- School of Visual Storytelling - classes range from $450 for a live twice-weekly class, to $20 for instructional videos. Topics are oriented towards children's books and animation.
- Art Camp - run by Noah Bradley, a self-taught course with access to a student forum. Topics include basics of painting, landscapes, and concept design. Prices range from $250-$495.
- Schoolism - boasts some pretty big names for instructors, including Dice Tsutsumi, Stephen Silver and Sam Nielson. Self-taught courses are $144 and guided courses are about $1000.
- SmArt School - an online school run by fantasy artists and art directors. The quality of work that comes from the students is impressive, and the instructor lineup is top-notch. Plans range $595 for an "auditing" option, to $2500 for the "full intensive mentorship" option.
Have you taken any of these online classes? I'd love to hear about your experience!